Saturday, September 28, 2013

Lingonberry Gingerbread

I am in love with IKEA... I have been since my first trip to one in Germany to get supplies for my dorm.  Now that I live near the Twin Cities, I like to visit IKEA every few months to see what new things they have.  On my last trip, I picked up a cookbook (Hembakat är Bäst - Homemade is Best) which was very much in the IKEA-style.  Minimal instructions, geometric ingredient pictures, brightly colored finished products.  It's been sitting on my shelf for several months and I haven't had a chance to bake anything out of it until this weekend.

I decided to try the Lingonberry Gingerbread.  Lingonberries are a very tart small red berry which they Swedes adore.  I'd never heard of them until I came to the upper Midwest... apparently we don't have enough Swedish-Americans in Pennsylvania.  The gingerbread needed lingonberry jam and I knew just where to find some:  Norske Nook.  In fact, it was at the Nook that I had my first taste of lingonberries in one of their delicious pies.  I made a quick drive to the Osseo one, because they have a larger gift shop and picked up a jar.  The cake is moist, gingery, and (thanks to the lingonberry) a subtle tartness.

Lots of cloves and ginger

Lingonberries imported from Sweden

Ready for the oven

Mmmmm... ready for fall....

No comments:

Post a Comment