Thursday, June 11, 2015

Seedlings: All grown up

I remember one spring when I was maybe 10 or 11 and my parents were cleaning out an old cupboard in the basement. Inside were many forgotten implements: old kitchen utensils, bowls, canning jars, etc. My mother held a handful of seed packets ready to throw them away. I protested… I wanted to plant them and start my own garden. She replied that the seeds were too old and nothing would grow. My stubbornness got the better of me and took them, carefully read the entire packet and sowed them outside next to my mother's raspberry bush. A carrot sprouted… but in my impatience I pulled it too soon and daintily bit at a one inch root. Since then, I've never lost my love of plants, but I've never ventured to plant seeds again until this year. I decided to start all of my balcony flowers from seed in the early spring --- especially given a Wisconsin winter, I needed to touch soil and see some green. I must admit feeling a bit paternal over the marigolds that sprouted. They're my favorites. They keep away the mosquitoes, they're easy to grow, and they have the most vibrant shades of orange. I had so many by late spring that I planted the rest around the border of my community garden vegetable allotment.






No comments:

Post a Comment